Hello


Welcome to the Curvaceous K ™ Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Surprising Hero

Many of us in the fashion world have watched Project Runway. And if you are like me, you think that Tim Gunn is fabulous. Now he is even more so.

When you think of main stream fashion, you rarely think of plus-size. And you would definitely not think that someone so iconic as Tim Gunn would be such a supporter of the troubles faced by plus-sized fashionistas.

In this interview with Marie Claire, Tim gives his opinion on plus-size fashion.

"It's so difficult. Have you seen most of the plus-size sections out there? It's horrifying. Whoever's designing for plus-size doesn't get it. The entire garment needs to be reconceived [sic]. You can't just take a size 8 and make it larger."


He goes further to say, "In my travels, I've been an advocate for larger women. I've been talking to designers, but only a half-dozen make an effort. Most say, "I don't want a woman who's a size 10 or 11 wearing my clothes." Well, shame on you! It's not realistic. We need to address real women with real needs. At Parsons, we had fit models that ranged in size from 2 to 10. We've got to reconceive [sic] clothes for all sizes. Sometimes I say, "I'm going to do a clothing line!" I'd love nothing more to respond to those designers who refuse to address it."

Tim was on the faculty of Parsons The New School of Design beginning in 1982 through 2007. He joined Project Runway the first season in 2004.

His new show, The Revolution, premiers January 16th and follows one woman's life transformation over a 5 month time period.

I would be excited to see him design his own line. Especially if it includes plus sizes. We will keep our eyes and ears open for more news.



No comments: